Tuesday, June 16, 2009

School Daze: Religious Right Still Can't Grasp Separation Of Church And School

By Rob Boston
Tue Jun 16, 2009 at 12:39:31 PM EST

Yesterday, I took the day off to attend a special end-of-the-year event at my son's school: He and other members of his fifth-grade class wrote and illustrated stories, which they bound in books and read aloud to visiting parents.

As I surveyed the classroom full of eager students and proud parents, I couldn't help but be struck by the diversity. All races were represented, and several kids mentioned being born in other countries.

I'd guess there was a lot of religious diversity there, too. I suspect we had many varieties of Christians in that room, along with Jews, non-believers, Muslims and probably others.

It was a stark example of why we don't preach religion in public schools.

No comments: