Monday, September 6, 2010

Wake Up Americans: It's Time to Get Off the Work Treadmill

By John de Graaf, The Progressive
Posted on September 2, 2010, Printed on September 6, 2010
http://www.alternet.org/story/148061/

A few years ago, after finding-my way through an incredible jumble of bicycles outside her building, I met with a University of Amsterdam professor who studies work-life balance. She recounted a conversation she'd just had with the manager of the Dutch division of an American company who had come to Holland from the United States two years earlier:

Professor: Do you notice a difference between the approach to work time and free time here compared to the United States?

Manager: Yes, it dawned on me my second week on the job. It was a Friday evening, eight o'clock, and we had an important shipment to get out on Monday. I called my assistant at home, and told her to call some of the workers to get some things done on the weekend in preparation.

No comments: